2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic
The 2019-20 Wuhan coronavirus outbreak refers to an epidemic of the 2019-nCoV coronavirus that was first detected in December 2019 in Wuhan, China. The virus can be fatal, with symptoms including fever, coughing, and breathing difficulties. Although not directly related to Call of Duty esports, the spread of the virus worldwide coupled with the relative proximity of the outbreak to multiple competitive regions, led to a number of professional tournaments being postponed, undergoing changes or cancelled to stop the spread of the virus.
Timeline of Events
- December 8, symptoms of the virus are detected in a patient for the first time.
- January 9, first death attributed to the virus is confirmed.
- February 28, the CDC Japan National Cup 2020 Spring Finals are cancelled due to concerns about the outbreak.
- March 6, the Call of Duty League announces the Los Angeles Home Series will continue as planned despite concerns about the outbreak after California declared a state of emergency over the spreading illness on March 4.
- March 12, all remaining Call of Duty League home series are cancelled. The matches will instead be played online. Call of Duty Challengers events are also cancelled.
- March 12, EEG Malta 4.0 is postponed.
- March 14, Sixth Gear Brazil returns to Brazil as a precautionary measure.
- March 16, NGL Masters Division Stage 1 Playoffs is postponed.
- March 20, Tespa Spring Duo Tournaments are postponed.
- April 1, Garena Invitational 2020 is cancelled.
- April 6, Call of Duty League matches will continue online starting with the April 10-12 Dallas Home Series. Call of Duty Challengers events will be split into regional events and remaining 1000 Series events will be replaced with 5000 Series cups.
- April 11, AGN Indianapolis Open 2020 is cancelled.
- June 28, Challengers Championship announced to take place online with a $ 500,000 prize pool across all regions. LCQ to take place August 1-2.
- 专家解读不明原因的病毒性肺炎最新通报 (Chinese) wjw.wuhan.gov.cn
- China Reports First Death From New Virus nytimes.com
- PlayStation®4用ソフトウェア『コール オブ デューティ モダン・ウォーフェア』 「Call of Duty Challengers日本代表決定戦 Spring」 オフライン決勝大会 中止のご案内 (Japanese) jp.playstation.com
- Announcement: LA Home Series Is On callofdutyleague.com
- After first coronavirus death, California declares state of emergency nypost.com
- Call of Duty League Shifting Currently Scheduled Live Events to Online Competition - callofdutyleague.com
- EEG Malta 4.0 Postponed - Official Statement - twitter.com
- Update on Sixth Gear Brazil - twitlonger.com
- Comunicado oficial COVID-19 (Spanish) - nglspain.es
- - Tespa Official Statement - twitter.com
- Garena Call of Duty Mobile's Facebook Post - facebook.com
- We’re Back!: The CDL Returns This Friday, April 10 with Online Play and a New Schedule - callofdutyleague.com
- AGN Event's Tweet - twitter.com
- 2020 Postseason Update: Competition Integrity Enhancements for Playoffs & Championship Weekend - callofdutyleague.com
- PlayCODMobile's Tweet - twitter.com